This year again there will be no cash in use at Frequency Festival. Payments will solely be made with a cashless chip. This chip can be found on your festival wristband. You can top up the chip on-site by using cash, a bank card (Maestro), a credit card (Visa, Master Card) or online. This new technology offers numerous benefits and makes payments all around the venue easier, faster and secure.
- Cashless Chip: Hence only called „CHIP“ in short. The chip allows you to make cashless payments just like with a bank card – only easier and faster.
- Top-Up Station (Ladestation): In our containers you will find assistance to add money to your chip (=top up) or get your credit back in cash (=pay out). In every Top-Up Station you will have the opportunity to ask questions about the system and problems with its handling. Our crew will be glad to help you out.
- Self Service Stations: additional to the top-up stations there will be some self service stations inside the festival area.
Chip number: Every chip has its unique number/code, which is connected to your transactions.
- Online Info Portal: Via the following link you can check your credit balance using your chip number: www.frequency.at/cashless
Receipt: The receipt complies with Austrian laws regarding the obligation to use cash registers and hand out receipts and is provided online with every transaction.
How can I add credit to the cashless chip in advance?
What needs to be done at home?
- Go to our Webshop
- Log into the system
- Connect your festivalticket to the account
- Top up some money (100, 250 or 500 euros)
- Confirm the payment
What needs to be done at the festival?
- Your festival ticket will be scanned
- You will get your festival wristband with your personal chip on it
- Your money will automatically be transferred to your chip
How do I add credit to the cashless chip at the festival?
You can top up the chip on site at every Top-Up- and Self Service Stations by:
- bank card (Maestro)
- credit card (Visa, Master Card)
- or online
By handing over cash, putting in your PIN or signing the credit card receipt the top-up is considered confirmed. Only your bank according to their TOS can help you with abuse of your bank card/credit card by third parties. It makes sense to top up a suitable amount right away. Should there be verifiable monetary advantages for the guest through handling errors, the guest is not authorized to spend this money. We reserve the right to correct these errors as soon as they become obvious.
How does paying with the Chip work?
- Get your festival wristband when you enter the festival. You chip is already attached to your wristband.(Ladestation).
- Any financial exchange in the venue and on the camping site will be conducted through this chip. Cash will not be accepted. Exceptions: Early Camping, Trash deposit and Shuttle Buses.
- Payment process: Hold your chip to the payment device, check the amount on the display and our bar crew then confirms the payment. Mistakes cannot be rectified later and cancellations are not possible.The amount is deducted from the credit balance. Only when the payment process is completely finished, you will get the product / service afterwards.
- Tip:Before you line up e.g. at the bar, always mind your credit balance so you can avoid lining up twice because of insufficient credit.
- Every Cashless chip has a unique number code printed on its back. Put in this code at frequency.at/cashless or in the Frequency App and you can see your current credit balance and transactions at all times (Internet connection required). Also, you can have your current credit balance checked at all assisted Top-Up Stations, Self Service Stations and with the bar crew.
- Personalization: You can also personalize your chip, in order to do that you have to state your Email-address, your first and last name at frequency.at/cashless. You can have possibly remaining credit on the Card transferred back online (for this you have to state your bank details separately before the transfer). To check your transactions online, you can save your personal chip info by personalizing your chip.
- Aside from the possibility to get remaining credit transferred back comfortably to you online, you can also get a cash pay-out on site at one of the main Top-Up Stations (one near the wristband issue point, one at the Space Stage, on at the entrance to the Green Stage and one at the camping site near the food court).
What is a Top-Up Station (Ladestation) and where do I find one?
Top-Up Stations are specially branded containers with assistance where
- top up credit
- check your credit balance
- and get help with your questions
In addition, there are three main Top-Up Stations which are bigger and better staffed (one near the wristband issue point, one at the Space Stage, one at entrance to the Green Stage and one at the camping site near the food court), where you can also get your credit back in cash. Here you see the Top-Up Stations at a glance: area map coming soon.
Do Top-Up Stations have opening hours?
The main Top-Up Stations at the main entrance and at the camping area are staffed around the clock, we will spread our crew here according to the demand. We are offering this service at night, but we ask for your understanding that there will only be a small team on duty and longer waiting times are possible.
Where can I see my current credit balance?
- Every Cashless chip has a unique number code printed on it.
- Put in this code at frequency.at/cashless or in the Frequency App
- and you can see your current credit balance and transactions at all times (Internet connection required). Also, you can have your current credit balance checked at all assisted Top-Up Stations.
How much should I add to the chip, reasonably?
Generally there is no minimum top-up. But it makes sense to get a suitable amount of credit for the whole festival right away:
- You spare yourself from some unnecessary walks to the Top-Up Stations.
- It will not happen to you that quickly that you’re at the bar and realize when paying that you’re out of credit (back to the start).
- You get your money back easily and comfortably, therefore it’s better to add a bit too much than too little (see „How will I get my money back?“).
How will I get my money back?
Online: You can get your remaining credit transferred back to you online comfortably after the festival (only possible with personalization of the chip).
- Notice that the online retransfer is only active from August 19th 2019, 02:00 pm At that point all of the transactions from the festival are guaranteed to be synchronized in the system.
- You have to arrange the online retransfer until December 31st 2019, 11:59 pm latest.
- When transferring back to an Austrian account number, no transfer fees or charges will be deducted.
- The domestic transfer can take up to 5 working days. With foreign accounts we reserve the right to retain handling or service fees thereby incurred. Depending on the country, the transfer may take several days up to weeks.
At the festival site You can get your remaining credit back in cash directly on site at one of the main Top-Up Stations (one near the wristband issue point, one at the entrance to the venue and one at the camping site near the food court). For logistical reasons, unfortunately we have to round down the pay-out to 50 Cent increments e.g. your remaining credit of 7,80€ gets rounded down to 7,50€ in cash and you lose your claim to the difference. We recommend to make use of the online retransfer in any case. We ask for your understanding that there might be longer waiting times during peak times like main departure time. Should it be impossible due to acts beyond our control to pay out the credit in cash on site, the online retransfer can still be arranged comfortably from home. Notice that the cash pay-out is only possible until August 18th, 12:00 noon. After that the remaining credit can only be refunded via the previously described online transfer option during the stated time period.
What are my benefits?
- The chip system saves time, is easy to handle and will shorten waiting times at catering outlets.
A regular financial transaction with cash always takes more time e.g. for handing over the change. The chip reduces the duration to a minimum. There is no necessity to carry cash all the time and the system increases security and transparency of the payment transactions and leaves the guest free of care. For further benefits see the next point.
How do I benefit from personalizing the Card?
You can also personalize your chip, in order to do that you have to state the following info on frequency.at/cashless:
- your chip number
- your Email-address
- your first
- and last name at
*The option to personalize your chip is possible from the first day of the festival on. Thereby you can
- you can have possibly remaining credit on the chip transferred back online (for this you have to state your bank details separately before the transfer)
- To check your transactions online, you can save your personal card info by personalizing your card.
Will there still be a cash machine?
How secure is my data?
State-of-the-art technology and encryption methods are being used to protect the data and credit balance of the guests. Reliability and data security are the main priority.
What happens if my chip is damaged?
Every guest is obligated to handle their chip properly and carefully. We will not be liable for the lack of care of a chip (e.g. damage/loss/theft) or incorrect use by the guest.
Can the system break down?
A breakdown of the system is virtually impossible. Thanks to the possibility of transferring data over the mobile network no special infrastructure is needed, professional monitoring of the system is being conducted online permanently. Should there be disruptions in the mobile network or the on-site internet connection, the system also works reliably in offline mode and is therefore fail-safe.
Can I lock my chip?
If you personalized your card correctly our cashless crew can lock your card. Until the chip is completely locked there might be a slight delay due to updates. Therefore we can’t guarantee to lock your card in real time. If can not be hold liable for any misuse of your chip. So please always keep an eye on your chip and do not lose it!
Which currency is used?
All transactions processed in EUROS